2016 has been an emotional roller coaster for me, honestly.
With it being my first whole year actually embracing the real world and trying to tap into my future career- after being a student and someone working just to save and scarper for so long, I have found life challenging at times. Challenging, because I am just starting out on my journey of life and for many of my friends, they are already successful within their careers and well established.
At points I’ve wanted to pack a bag and run to South America, to avoid the idea of paying for a mortgage or having to deal with those awkward chats at work at the water fountain- or in my case, the kitchen. At times I’ve questioned, is this something that I really want to do, to settle down to routine and normality?
I’ve come to the conclusion that no matter where I am or what I do, I will never be “settled”. I will always want to go on adventurous trips abroad, to explore far flung corners of the world rather than an “easy” holiday. I will always aim to try and challenge myself with new hobbies or new interests, to push myself in a new way.
Just the challenge I have to face now is getting a full time position doing what I love. As I have realised, all the fun interesting jobs- have high competition. What doesn’t work in my favour is that I am not someone to push another human out the way for a job opportunity; I am more likely to offer to help them up and encourage them to go for it, which obviously, isn’t the best frame of mind in the media industry.
Although 2016 has not been as filled with travel as much as I had hoped, and a year of endings and new beginnings, I am thankful for being able to spend it with my wonderful boyfriend- which is a new aspect for me to have in my life, finally being with a prince charming after so many ugly frogs.
In short, 2016 you have been one of the best years of my life, and below are my favourite moments of this year.
- Taking my boyfriend to my favourite tapas restaurant in Spain. I love the tapas there and I never thought I would bring a date there!
- Driving a rental car through the windy rural roads of Iceland with my mum. The scenery was stunning and with good music playing, the atmosphere was perfect and we easily pulled over whenever we wanted to take a picture.
- Snowboarding in Val D ’Isere was a definite highlight this year. I haven’t gone snowboarding properly in 10 years and it was so nice to be able to carve and slide down an incredibly scenic part of France.
- Being given the opportunity to present on both Eagle 3 and Mi-Soul, allowing me to flourish as a radio presenter and have fun!
- When I officially became a freelancer and to have various companies want to work with me. It’s not only made me realize my self-worth; my intelligence and creativity, but also is an integral step in establishing my career.
- On one of my days off I was looking after my boyfriend’s puppy and was walking him in a national park near to me. The break from work and computer screens, the smell of fresh air, and the silence made me fully appreciate that moment of complete bliss: the smells and sights of nature, a happy puppy and me.
Although 2016 has been tough for me at times, I look to the future with hope and optimism. With regards to my career, it can only improve whilst I continue to explore areas of work I enjoy, growing and learning what is right for me. Which means… more money to travel; have adventures, and enjoy more gigs, and more importantly, less financial stress!
Here’s to 2017!